There are many seats in the Gardens for you to sit and maybe contemplate the person it was given to commemorate.
Dr Walter Muir – General Practitioner in Braintree – 1952 to 1987 – Dr Walter Muir was a Partner at the Mount Chambers Practice in Braintree, and a senior figure in the St. John Ambulance. A gracious man who was quietly spoken. In February 1973 the Scotsman received a medal of the Order of St John for 15 years service. He retired in 1987. Dr. Muir lived in Grove field. He died in the early 1990s.
Councillor George Warne – 1917 – 2006. Mr George Warne was born in Pebmarsh in 1917. He was the eldest of 5 children. He attended St Michael’s Primary School, leaving there at the age of 14. In 1936 he joined the Army, and was sent to the Middle East, serving with the Palestine Police. He later served in Crete and Egypt. Transferred to the Control Commission for Germany at the end of the Second World War. He met his wife, Elizabeth in 1948, and they were married in 1949. Soon after they returned to Braintree and lived in Baileybridge Road for 50 years. George Warne was a long serving Councillor and helped many people without seeking any reward. He served as a Labour member on Braintree Council for 46 years, being elected as a Councillor for Bocking South on Braintree Urban Council in May 1954. In 1964 he became Chairman, and then first Chairman of the newly formed Braintree District Council in 1974. A first “blue collar worker” to be made Chairman, while he worked at Marconi in Chelmsford. He was justly proud of that achievement. He played a part in revitalising Braintree Carnival. He also helped form the Marching Concert Band in Bocking and was active in the Braintree District Mencap Society. He loved to help others and was generous and unselfish. Apart from a three year gap between 1976 and 1979, her served as councillor until 2003. He was known as the father of the Council and named Mr Braintree. He died at 89 in 2006 in Hospital,